Friday, September 25, 2009

Funeral cards - another source of information

Funeral cards can provide information about a person and the particulars of the death - the location and date and the place of burial. It might include some biographical information and a photograph.

I do not have many in my possession. I did a search of some of the keepsakes that my mother had in some boxes. Until recently, I have not seen them locally but at more recent funerals or funeral home visitations, they have had bookmark sized cards with information and photograph of the individual but these are given out at the funeral home or place of visitation or service.

In my search, last night, I only found two, but I know there are others around the house. The two that I found were for deaths on the Manitoulin Island. In a locality with only a weekly newspaper, these funeral cards are placed in stores so that people can be alerted to an upcoming funeral. Once when I was visiting my cousin Valerie, we had gone into Gore Bay to shop. There in one of the stores, we saw a funeral card. She mentioned it was for one of my cousins. Of course, the person was her cousin too.

The first one I found was for Evelyn Jean Spry nee Wagg. I don't believe there is any family connection unless it is one of those, where it is a relative of a relative's spouse.

Evelyn was the wife of the late Chester Spry. She died suddenly on August 4, 1967, at her home when only in her 47th year. The visitation and the service were held at Mindemoya United Church. Printed on the card, her place of burial is shown as Mindemoya Cemetery but in hand writing Cold Springs, Rockville has been added.  There is the poem called "Comfort". There is no more biographical information about her.

The other is for my uncle Ross Love who died in Mindemoya Hospital on May 2, 1989. Included is some of the basic family information. The funeral service and visitation were also at Mindemoya United Church. There was also a Masonic Memorial service. The poem "Crossing the Bar" is printed on the card.

No comments: