Saturday, July 25, 2009

My favorite cemetery photo? How can I choose?

When walking through a cemetery, you often notice a monument or marking that catches your interest. Perhaps, it is the shape, the wording or perhaps the flowers or mementos that are close by.

Recently, I visited Ventry Cemetery in Proton Township, Grey County, Ontario. For me, this cemetery was not on a regular route but one I was checking for a client.




My list for the cemetery was in alphabetical order and not as it was set out in rows, so I had to look at each stone. I was calling out the name of the ones I was looking for. Where are you? While I was doing this, I found a most interesting one.




To the Glory of God
Brooks
Olive Emmeline Clarke
Nov 17 1933 -- Oct 12 1985
Beloved wife of
Ronald James Brooks
Apr 12, 1934 -- Jan 21 2001

Click on the photo to enlarge it so that you can read the poem that Olive wrote when she had cancer.

This is the first time that I have seen a poem written by the person who is laid to rest. The names of the children are on the stone. The illustrations show something of the spirit of the couple. It looks like they loved to square dance.

4 comments:

Diane Wright said...

How neat! I do the same thing, call out for the people, ya never know if they will feel like showing you their last place on earth.

Dorene from Ohio said...

What a charming tombstone!

dustbunny8 said...

This lady had style!Thanks for sharing a great one with us!

Greta Koehl said...

I love it when there is something on the tombstone that lets the personality of the person shine through - this is a great example.